Leading the way
In an effort to take efficiency a step further, we were the first manufacturer in New Zealand to introduce a mass-produced electric car; the Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Our Outlander PHEV has brought new levels of efficiency to a growing number of Kiwi drivers.
We’re also addressing and reducing the impact of our corporate activities, including the development, procurement, production, sales and aftersales servicing activities related to our vehicles. At a glance, here are our initiatives:
- We forecast and assess the environmental impact of our products at all stages in their life cycle in conjunction with Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC), giving particular priority to:
- investing in technology that will reduce reliance on fossil fuels
- minimising pollution by restricting emissions of greenhouse gases and other substances harmful to the environment
- reducing waste and maximising resource conservation and recycling.
- We comply with environmental regulations and agreements
- We’re encouraging environmental sustainability from our business partners and suppliers
- We publish environment-related information
- We pursue conservation initiatives that preserve the natural environment and encourage others to do so.
Our local environment
We operate out of Todd Park in Porirua, just north of Wellington, with a staff of 68. As locals, our focus is on the particular needs of New Zealand motorists and the effects we all have on our naturally diverse and beautiful country. Increasing efficiency and reducing environmental impact matters as much to us as it does to you.
We were the first automotive manufacturer to introduce mass-produced electric cars and plug-in hybrids to New Zealand. We are a pioneer of cleaner, greener motoring.
Close by our office is our facility for recycling used vehicle parts, which plays a major part in our sustainability efforts. We have also initiated a policy to ensure that end-of-life Li-ion batteries can be processed safely with the least amount of waste possible. Find out more here.
Our global environment
who shares it.
We’re fully committed to reducing environmental impact at each stage of our vehicle’s life cycles. That begins at the drawing board, continues throughout production, its use by the customer and beyond its working life.
We also see the bigger picture when we conduct business and constantly work to shrink the environmental footprint left by all our activities from development, procurement, production, sales and aftersales servicing of our vehicles.
We employ a ‘3R’ ethos - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. This is adopted at the earliest possible design stage to ensure our products will be manufactured with the fewest possible emissions and waste. At the end of their life, we ensure they’re as recyclable as they can be.
- To promote resource conservation and recyclability
- To maintain a manufacturing waste by-product recycling rate of at least 98%.
- To maintain zero landfill waste at all manufacturing sites
- To reduce emissions of by-products, such as scrap metal and waste casting sand
- To reduce the use of water through efficient recycling.
This programme reflects the requirements of the 2005 Kyoto Protocol, of which New Zealand is a signatory, and other increasingly stringent regulations and legislation introduced in Japan, North America, Europe, New Zealand and Australia.
In the words of our president...
"Driving pleasure, safety and environmental responsibility – these are concepts we aim to build into our cars.
We will continue to fulfil our responsibility to the environment in a whole host of ways. Our initiatives will encompass not only the development and popularisation of environmentally-friendly technologies but also the reduction of environmental impact in all our business activities."
OSAMU MASUKO, PRESIDENT, MITSUBISHI MOTORS CORPORATION